I have 2 projects with deadlines around the corner but guess where I am. In the kitchen. It’s like a therapy. All my senses are meditating. My favorite song is on. Smell of the fresh orange zest and chocolate. I’m whisking away my worries, baking love, sprinkling orange rejuvenation to my soul. Yes, om in the kitchen.
I’m baking mini orange-chocolate cheesecakes. I have to admit cheesecakes generally are not my cup of tea. But this one I truly love. It is so light, and the combination of chocolate and orange is just a-ma-zing. Love love love!
Mini Chocolate and Orange Cheesecakes
(adapted from Giada De Laurentiis)
Yield: 12 mini cheesecakes
1/3 cup finely crushed chocolate wafers/crackers
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup melted ricotta cheese
2 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 orange, zested
2 tablespoons sugar (to sprinkle on top)
2. Place a tightly packed teaspoon of the mixture into each mini muffin cup and press down firmly.
3. In a food processor combine the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, 1/4 cup of the sugar, half of the orange zest, and the egg. Blend until smooth.
4. Fill the cups with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cheesecake mixture.
5. Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the mini muffin tin in a baking dish and pour enough hot water in the baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the mini muffin tin. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Transfer the mini muffin tin to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Use a small knife to gently pop the cheesecakes out of the cups.
7. Combine 2 tablespoons of sugar with half of the orange zest. Sprinkle on cheesecakes.