To me, chocolate and orange are a match made in heaven. I cannot help but try when I see this combo in a recipe- never fails to cheer me up! What is your love combo?
Chocolate, Orange and Almond Biscotti
(adapted from Donnay Hay)
1 cup (150g) plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
2 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅓ cup (75g) caster sugar
½ cup (80g) natural almonds
⅓ cup (55g) mixed peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
200g dark chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1.Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Place the flour, baking powder, cocoa, cinnamon, sugar, almonds and mixed peel in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Make a well in the centre, add the eggs, vanilla and orange rind and stir until a dough forms.
4. Turn out onto a well-floured surface and knead to combine. Shape into an 18cm log and place on a lightly greased baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
5. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
6. Allow to cool completely before slicing into 4mm-thick slices.
7. Return to the tray and bake for 12–15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Allow to cool completely.
8. Place dark chocolate and vegetable oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture into a narrow glass to make dipping your biscotti easier.
9. Dip the biscotti halfway into the chocolate and place on trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
10. Refrigerate for 15–20 minutes or until set. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.